Riverrun has been designed as luxury accommodation by a leading local architect using almost 100 tonnes of reclaimed hardwood and native timber and beams as well as now unobtainable New Zealand kauri. The handcrafted wood gives the guest accommodation and living areas a special warmth, intimacy and history. Richly polished jarrah floors extend throughout both lounges, historic wharf timbers and massive railway beams show century old adze work. Much of the furniture and metalwork is handcrafted and designed exclusively for the lodge. Riverrun has two large living rooms to relax in, each with a log fire and opening onto deep lounging verandahs. Fish, hike, bike, read, enjoy the conversation of other guests in the evenings on the lodge verandahs or retreat and relax.
- delicious breakfasts each morning including buffet and cooked menu selection
- complimentary evening appetisers served daily
- welcome glass of wine on the first night of your stay
- refreshments, fresh fruit and home made cookies
- guest tea/coffee making room with well stocked guest fridge
- private outdoor cedar hot tub/spa
- mountain bikes and fishing rods, ski equipment locker
- books, online movies, music and magazines
- complimentary wireless internet
- onsite walks, running and bike trails.
- advice and assistance with wanaka activities and guides to get the best out of your stay
- two ground floor lounges, roaring log fires, generous seating, deep verandahs, panoramic views
- dinner is available at the lodge Monday-Friday, but not at weekends. Advance bookings essential. NZ$100 per person.
Dinner is served at 8pm in summer, 7.30pm in winter. The dining area seats up to ten guests for convivial dining. Our "chef's menu" changes daily according to seasons and special requests. Menus include tender venison, merino lamb, duck, salmon, rabbit or beef, enhanced with locally grown vegetables, herbs and olive oils or local cheeses. The area is renowned for stone-fruit (plums, apricots, cherries and nectarines) as well as excellent wine. Fresh produce, simple but innovative cuisine. The Lodge wine list features exclusively Central Otago wines.
Riverrun lies on the ancient terminal moraine of two glaciers, meeting at Halliday bluff. The property crosses the smaller Cardrona river and bounds the magnificent Clutha river, New Zealand's largest river. Walks, bike and running trails extend from the lodge along the Clutha, Cardrona and Hawea rivers for 10-30kms. It is a beautiful 12km ride along the Clutha river and lakeside track to Wanaka township. Guests can enjoy the benefit of local advice, walks along the escarpment, riverside rides or picnics or simply take in the valley and mountain views from the lodge verandahs. The property is a fine wool merino sheep farm, originally the "river run block" of a many thousand acre sheep "run." It was first developed by the Halliday brothers, who were suppliers and prospectors during the Cardrona gold rush of the 1880's. John and Meg had made many excursions to Wanaka and at the end of a hiking trip in Mt Aspiring National Park in 1995, took the not-difficult decision to move here. John had previously established the successful retail and manufacturing outdoor clothing and equipment company Kathmandu, in both New Zealand and Australia.